Well, I did it. I just applied to a bunch of film festivals. Total submission fees: $630. Yow. Just in case anyone’s interested, below are the festivals I submitted my films to. I submitted I Must Destroy You and Fried Ham, my two most recent films. I mostly looked for local LA-area festivals, European festivals (which often have no entry fee (yay!)), and dedicated animation festivals.
I submitted both films to:
– San Fernando Valley International Film Festival
– Starz First Look Student Film Festival
– WINNIPEG International Film Festival
– Audience Choice Film festival
– California International Animation Festival
– Edinburgh International Film Festival
I submitted only I Must Destroy You to:
– Beverly Hills Fine Arts Industry Showcase
– Action/Cut Short Film Competition
– SCI-FI-LONDON: The London International Festival of Science Fiction and Fantastic Film
Now I just have to send out DVDs to all these festivals, making sure to label them all exactly as specified for each festival. That’ll probably be my big task for this evening. Then I’ll take them out tomorrow and get them postmarked (many have a December 31st postmark deadline).
Yowzers! If you are accepted at one of those foreign festivals, I guess you can add the price of a round-trip ticket to the cost of entering! Keep us posted on your rejection/acceptance notices! Love, Mom